Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Dear Life, You Suck

Dear Life, You Suck, written by Scott Blagden is a book about a teenage boy, Cricket Cherpin, who lives in a Boy’s Foster Home for 8 years. He had to go live there from 9 years old because his parents were doing drugs, and didn’t take good care of him. Cricket always gets into trouble at the Home because he is always trying to protect the younger kids at the Home that he lives with. Cricket will be turning 18, and he now needs to figure out what to do with the rest of his life. His future doesn’t look good at all, but he is trying to get past the negative and think about becoming an adult in the real world. 

I liked the book, but I also did not like the book at the same time. I liked it because it was very realistic and sad at the same time. It was nice to see how even though Cricket felt like his life was a waste, the relationship he develops with Wyonna, a girl he meets, made him feel better about himself. It makes me realize that you just need one person to care about you to make you feel better about yourself and realize that life is not so bad! What I didn’t like about this book is that it used curse words and talked a lot about drugs. That was the one part that I didn’t like. 

I would recommend this book to teenagers. I think teenage boys would like it the most, because they could better relate to Cricket that a teenage girl could. They may feel that they are going through some of the same feelings and have felt some of what Cricket has too. I would not recommend it to kids younger than 12 because it uses some language that is not appropriate for all ages!

No comments:

Post a Comment