Friday, December 30, 2016

The Last Execution, by Jesper Wing-Sung

The Last Execution, written by Jesper Wung-Sung, is a book about a 15 year old boy, Niels Nielson, who will be executed on Gallows Hill, because of arson and murder. The books setting takes place mostly in the boys cell with a fly and a dog outside. The time period is in the 1800’s in Denmark. There are several people involved in Niels’s execution, from the carpenter to the poet, and they each have their own views on the execution. It is based on a true story. I really enjoyed this book a lot. 

As I was reading this book, I felt like I was inside the cell with Niels because it was mostly written from Niels perspective. I found this to be very interesting and it kept me very involved too. The book also made me think a lot. It seemed that many townspeople wanted Niels to be executed. This was sad to me because they seemed to judge him and thought he was really bad, without even meeting him. This made me realize a very important message, that it is not fair to judge people in this world. I also enjoyed this book because it made me emotional. 

I felt sad reading about the relationship between Niels and his dad. They were so poor and eventually his dad couldn't work. This made me appreciate how lucky I am in my life today. I would recommend this book to young teens and older. It teaches us a good message about what its like to be poor, and if you are, how you may be treated by others. It really opens your eyes up to the world and how it can be. This book really makes you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment