Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl, Jesse Andrews

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl is about a High School senior, named Greg, and his friend Earl.  Greg is a socially awkward senior who likes to mostly keep to himself, while Earl comes from a dysfunctional family.  Together they form a friendship that revolves around film production, which they immerse themselves into daily.  One day Greg’s mom asks Greg to reacquaint himself with an old friend, Rachel.  Rachel has been diagnosed with Leukemia and is dying.  This story centers around these 3 characters and all that they go through on a daily basis. 

Overall, I did not really like this book.  I felt it was filled with explicit language that was not really necessary.  There were many vulgar words used and scenes that were very graphic.  Furthermore, it really bothered me that neither character  showed much sympathy for Rachel as she was dying.  I felt that I couldn’t relate or empathize with any of the characters in this book.   The story line and the plot described a world that I am not really familiar with.  Furthermore, I am not a fan of this book because I did not really enjoy the writing style.  We were supposed to feel like we were in Greg’s head, and that perspective was not very appealing to me. 


I would recommend this book to an older, more mature reader.  Maybe someone in there 20’s or 30’s.  Due to the explicitness of the language and the details used to describe situations, I would not recommend this book to a teen.  The book has several uses of obscenities and explicit language which I find to be inappropriate for a teen to be reading.      

No comments:

Post a Comment